Sunday, November 05, 2006

Values and Sensibility

From an interview with Eko Prawoto:
“Manusia itu adaptif, bisa tinggal di lingkungan ekstrem panas dingin, luas sempit, tapi juga nanti ada satu saat dimana dia rindu pada hal-hal yang tertanam kuat dalam diri. Semacam nilai-nilai rasa.”
See here for full article in today’s Kompas.

May this bring light to this and this?

From the same interview, Prawoto revealed that from the late Mangunwijaya he learnt:
“Yang didapat dari Romo Mangun adalah aspek tektonika, kepekaan bagaimana teknik menyambung, mempertemukan bahan dan mengartikan sambungan, bagaimana memahami kodrat dan bakat dari bahan, kreativitasnya, juga pada keberanian untuk berbeda, dan mencari dari dalam. Melihat persoalan dari persoalan itu sendiri, tidak risau dengan sekitar. Tidak tentang kulit tapi dari spirit. (Pada akhirnya arsitektur harus) memerdekakan manusia …” [my emphasis].
I stumble over the parts in italics with my students. And I wonder how did Mangunwijaya convey these through his teaching?

2 comments:

philosopher.me said...

"Keberanian untuk berbeda, mencari dari dalam.., dan tidak risau dengan sekitar".. That is a very nice quote to have :) Actually, I'm now learning sort of things like that.. How we can express ourselves (just the way it is) without fear in public.. I found out that many people have certain fear about expressing themselves. And I also found out that this condition is all the same with Roark's choice of life (Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead"). How he chose to be a 'modernist', standing out from the 'classic'. I haven't finished reading it yet (sorry.. :p), so, I haven't known what will happen next to Roark (with his second trial), but, I think, Roark's bravery to be different is one that we all should have.. Inspite of what kind of things we are fighting for, it is very important to keep the faith in ourselves, so we won't get washed away by opinions from others.

Dewi Susanti said...

Do read the full article in Kompas. It’s inspiring. And yes, keeping faith in yourself is the key, if you don’t have faith in yourself, who else will (apart from your parents and few others who love you blindly)? I think fear to be different is especially difficult to overcome in our tight society. But here’s another revealing quotation.