Saturday, April 14, 2007

About a Boy (Who Wants to be a Tour Guide)

Several weeks ago, while on a business trip in Ubud, I took a moment to go see the famed rice terraces. As is typical in tourist sites of Bali, the moment I got off from the rented car, a group of people swarmed around me to sell things off. I walked quickly passed them and cascaded down to be at the edge of a cliff from where I could savor the view much treasured by most urbanites who have been away too long from nature.

While indulging my eyes among the greens, I heard footsteps coming over – they belonged to my colleagues and a young boy. He was amongst the group that surrounded me, I noticed, as he brought with him odds and ends that one would be tempted to buy as souvenirs, but then would shove it somewhere and forget about it the next moment. He commented to my Indonesian colleague in Bahasa (thinking that I was not Indonesian for some reason) about how fast I walked. And then he asked my friend where I came from.

After finding out that I am Indonesian, he started talking to me, trying to sell things off – all for merely ten thousand Rupiah. He pleaded that he had followed me a long way, and so I should buy things from him (I wonder how effective is it to sell things off by evoking one’s sense of pity and/or guilt?).

Trying to overcome my own temptation, thinking that these souvenirs would be of no use once I am back in Jakarta, I started asking him questions about himself: does he go to school, how long he has to work everyday, where does he live, what does his parents do.

This boy, who is a junior high school student, caught up quickly. He told me that both his parents owned a souvenir stall down the road, and he and his brother both had to help out. Therefore, I should buy things off from him so he could pay for his tuition. Witty boy. He was weighing down my heart (and why should I feel this?).

I started to like him, but I was adamant not to buy anything from him. So I sat next to him and we chatted. He noticed that I and my colleagues wore similar silver warthog pins that we got from our visit to a jewelry workshop. He started asking questions about the pins and where we got them. He told me that the pin was really nice, and noted that although it was suppose to look like a warthog, it looked more like a bull (which was true). I told him that he was a good observer, and I asked him questions about the future and what he wanted to be. A guide, he said with twinkle in his eyes. My heart sank.

I realize that Bali is a tourist-driven island, and most jobs relate to tourist-driven industries. But does this boy want to be a guide because he really wants to, or because he has no exposure to other jobs he could do? Does one’s dream of possibilities and opportunities open up as one’s own knowledge and experiences widen?

So I told him about the jewelry workshop. I told him about various things people do there, hoping that it would open up his horizon. But unfortunately we had to leave. What I realized after the car moved away from the site on towards our next destination was that I should have given him my pin. It would have meant a lot more to him than to me. This post is my dedication to him instead, although he had no way of knowing or accessing this information.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

i find it more poignant when poor young kids in jakarta dream about becoming doctors or whatnot... :/

Anonymous said...

Alo bu...setelah saya mencoba semalaman memaksa mendesain ternyata hasilnya itu 3 kalimat majemuk yg terlontar dalam durasi kurang dari 5 menit dan saya disuru ulang...hhe...

Saya jadi kepikiran...sebenarnya apa yah yang men-drive seseorang untuk menjadi "sesuatu" bagi masyarakat...saya sendiri jujurnya masuk jurusan yg sekarang saya jalani pun lebih dari setengahnya alasannya karena orang tua saya...bukannya saya mencari pembelaan diri karena bagaimanapun yang memutuskan untuk masuk jurusan ini dengan sadar adalah saya..
saya jadi kepikiran, apa iya kalau jadi dokter atau jadi arsitek atau ekonom itu menjamin hidup bisa lebih sukses ya? i don't really think so...cause however,hidup ini ga akan menjadi bermakna bila dijalankan dengan dipaksakan...dan saya mulai merasa begitu,walau saya tidak berhenti mencoba untuk menikmati dan menyukai apa yang saya jalani...

Regards
Raynata

Dewi Susanti said...

Ray,

My concern has to do with exposure to choices more than the choice per se. The key is in this sentence: “… does this boy want to be a guide because he really wants to, or because he has no exposure to other jobs he could do?” The poor young kids that John mentioned I think have more exposure to possibilities, and are more likely to make informed decisions.

I agree with you that it doesn’t really matter what people choose to do for a living, but what should matter is that the choice is what one actually cares about, enjoys doing, and is passionate about.

I’ve met too many Indonesian students who choose their majors because of their parents, or other external reasons. But now that you know more about your major, you should know whether it’s right or not for you. Life is too precious to be wasted upon doing something that you don’t really care about.

Too many people end up doing what they do for a living by default, in which case the choices are not informed decisions, which is fine. There are many things we can’t control in life. But I think the drive to excel could only come from within: when you care, enjoy, and are passionate about what you are doing. And it is possible even if you do something that you didn’t choose.

Dewi Susanti said...

Forgot the link for drive to excel mentioned in the previous comment.

Unknown said...

i suppose the pity can be split in two halves.

those that don't realise they have choices and those that don't have any choices.

Dewi Susanti said...

My pity for the former are more than the latter. At least with the latter we as an outsider can open them up to choices. With the former, a lot of internal motivation is needed to change perception.

Unknown said...

"At least with the latter we as an outsider can open them up to choices."

well that's counting on a philanthropic soul to pick a few out of the mire -- but there are literally millions that will never have a real chance to make a decent living.