Thursday, June 21, 2007

Efficiently Creative | Creatively Efficient

Recently, an article in Business Week mentioned the clash between creativity vs. efficiency in 3M, (used to be?) known as one of the most creative companies in the world. Even more recently, another article from the same source discussed Frank Gehry’s Stata Building at MIT which mentioned as well the clash between creativity vs. efficiency in the context of space.

Being trained as an architect by quite a few MIT grads who studied under modernist architects who studied under masters of form follows function, I must admit that as much as I preach creativity and admire its products, I still find it difficult to enjoy buildings such as Gehry’s Stata Building and Experience Music Project. I can intellectually admire the process of thinking and experimenting which Gehry has dwelled on for decades, but my sensibilities have been tainted by years of training that, for better or worse, has made me aesthetically and logically biased.

Maybe that’s why I’m better off not practicing as an architect, as I can’t overcome the guilt that someone else has to pay for my experimentations. Or perhaps I should overcome this guilty feeling and experiment on efficiently creative or creatively efficient spaces. Or the two words are simply a paradox?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Heh :)

I suppose creativity needs a certain amount of gut, balls and conviction.

I know the most creative part of my life was, when my thesis prof told me I was doing the impossible for my thesis (in front of many peers).

Over a year, I managed to figure out some rather creative solutions to modeling consumer markets, and he gave me the second highest grade going :)

philosopher.me said...

Hi, miss!! Long time no see :) I'm now having my vacation in Semarang. Hehe. Actually, I decided to pay a visit to ask good Japanese novels you might be able to recommend :D But, I found that this post is really really exciting. And I think I'll give a word or two :)

First, I really got disturbed by what you said, "... has made me aesthetically and logically biased." I just feel that you can't be 'biased' in such a matter because we choose it. We choose how we wanted to be.
And, I feel surprise to find out that you feel guilty to do experiments.. 'Cause you're always be on the first place to encourage us (your students) to experiment :) Well, I do know how it feels to be wavered, especially in important matters. But, I think, you might be one who needs convictions to be sure of what you do :)

Well, I think that's all... I will appreciate it very very much if you're willing to reply and tell me some good Japanese novels :D Have a nice day ^ ^

Btw, Campbell's Stata article is really great. It answers lots of questions about designs (for me) and it does a great architectural critic :)

Dewi Susanti said...

John,
Yeah, creativity does need a certain amount of gut, balls and conviction that what you are doing is ‘right’, although it’s anything but the usual. It’s great that you followed your conviction!

Amy,
As much as I hate to admit it, what we do, learn, read and experience do to certain extent form who we are and our perception of the world. I have admired Gehry’s process of thinking and exploration for about 6-7 years now, but his buildings (at least when I visited them) didn’t take my breath away. I hope time and effort are what it takes to strip me bare of my biases, but by then I’m sure new forms of biases will have surrounded me. It’s inevitable I suppose.

Experimentations of thoughts and process in academic context and in practice do not make me feel guilty. On the other hand, this is what I truly believe I should teach – so my students construct their own thinking and design process. Experimentation of thoughts and process in academic context end in architectural models, while in practice they end in buildings – totally different magnitude of space, construction, finance, human involvement, impact, etc..

I find it difficult to accept experimentations in such a large scale, especially when they are done irresponsibly and inhumane – more for the sake of the architects’ own ego and progress, rather than the clients’ (including end users’) needs. So like you, I find Campbell’s article enlightening as my friends who used to work in the building hated it then. But Campbell’s own reception of the building seems to changed over the years.

On Japanese novels, so far I’ve read only the classic writers Junichiro Tanizaki, Yasunari Kawabata, Mishima. Of the three writers, I enjoy reading Tanizaki most. The only fiction from modern writers that I’ve read is Banana Yoshimoto’s Kitchen. Precaution: all are very Japanese, i.e. dark and could be depressing :)

philosopher.me said...

Thank you so much for the book recommendations :) and the sharing about Gehry's :)