Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Learning to Type a :-)

I didn't know that the digital smiley :-) was invented by a Professor! And it was done 25 years ago! (I thought it was invented more recently.) And it wasn't until recently either that I fully realized why using the computers could be so intimidating for those to whom these otherwise helpful machines were foreign.

My mom and dad, well in their 60s and 70s, were only recently learning to use the computer. While talking on the phone with them several days ago, my dad asked me why his typings were all wavy. Confused, I asked him what he meant. He started explaining that whenever he typed a word, it had a red wave under the word. He tried to get rid of it, but every time he wrote again, the red wave reappeared. Partly smiling to myself, I realized that the spell checking was not as natural as I thought it was.

Apparently while coaching both my parents, my sister said that using the mouse was also a strange experience for them. They didn't have the fine motor skill to click and double click, nor the intuitiveness to maneuver the mouse as an extension to a hand 'reaching' into the computer screen. Although I knew that using the computer required one to also learn the many languages and symbols unique within it, I didn't realize how daunting it could be :-)

1 comment:

Raynata... said...

Hmm..will it as bizzare for us to learn comp like when we learn some new language started from nothin? I myself had the similar experiences during my dae work...when I work, I've to store the photos that i captured in a computer..and I've just realized that it's a mac..not a windows like we always use...and for me..it's feel really weird..how hard to make a "right click" in mac...and now I learn how things that we think "easy to learn" and can make life lot more easier can make life more awkward, bizzare or complicated...

btw..I heard that you'll be giving some lecture about surealism in the class mam?

regards..