Sunday, January 20, 2008

On Dreams

It's not
What you thought
When you first began it
You got
What you want
Now you can hardly stand it though,
By now you know
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
It's not going to stop
'Til you wise up

So just give up

Wise Up, Aimee Mann (Magnolia, 1999)

More than five years ago, when I decided to return to Indonesia and focus my work in the field of education, I read a book that inspired and captured the essence of what I thought I would love doing. The book, “One Day, All Children …”, was written by Wendy Kopp, the founder of Teach for America.

Teach for America is a teacher corps inspired by the Peace Corps. It recruits the best of recent college graduates in the United States and places them as teachers for two years in some of the worst public schools in inner urban and rural America to help improve the quality of education in these schools.

Over these past few days, I reread the book, and went over the sentences that I underlined five years ago which, in retrospect, still rang true at present. As I was reading it, I could still feel a fire burning inside me – mixed with a regretful pang that I am nowhere near where I envisioned myself to be. What went wrong?

Kopp started out the organization at 21. Like most recent college graduates, she was idealistic, ambitious, and full of energy. And she started big: her aim was to raise USD 2.5 million, recruited 500 graduates from top universities, and placed them in several parts of America within a year. She poured her life to realize her vision. The reality of realizing a dream, like most of us know through experience, is far from easy. But she persisted, found the supports she needed, and made it.

Starting big was the one thing I didn’t do. I don’t mean to say that I didn’t get anything. On the contrary, I learnt and experienced a lot. Most of the time, I had been happy and content with my small dreams. But now I am drained of any energy to even continue my small dreams. So I have decided to wise up, and give up my small dreams. I will start plunging and paddling myself to realize my bigger dream. I hope the course of life would not stray me into the comforts of small dreams again.

Reality wears down small dreams.

ADDED:
What's your dream? And where are you in respect to that dream? What do you think is the biggest hurdle in realizing your dream?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

so what exactly is your big dream? :)

Dewi Susanti said...

Work in community development and eventually start and run my own. Care to respond on the added part? My biggest hurdle has been my own fear.

Raynata... said...

Honestly? I don't even know where's my dream really is...really...

I do my life day by day..try to get the mean of living with trying all i can in my every single day...

and still..i don't know..

maybe all my fear..all my conciousness of reality had blocked all my dreams...

I have my dream..i know I still have it deep down my heart...but I don't know what is it..

pathetic isn't it?
I think it has been way too long for me to live my life not on my own will..

Dewi Susanti said...

Ray, you're still very young to figure out what you want to do with your life. So it's not too late at all. In fact, it's never too late to realize a dream no matter how old you are.

One thing that we don't want to admit often is that we always have choices, even in situations where we feel we don't. So even when you don't think you're living a life not of your own will, you chose it. Like I chose to start small. And it's ok. But I think we should give ourselves time when we reflect upon what it is we want to do in our lives, and realign our goals (or in your case, find it first).

Raynata... said...

I will find my one..for sure...don't know when..but i'll find one..for now,maybe i'll start to do what i like..and like what i do...

try to live my life and livin my dream..

someway..

Unknown said...

i'm /livin'/ the dream dewi!! :):)

hehehe

nah, for me, my dream is to be in a strong and loving relationship. only my fear of women is blocking me from realise it... and i am about at level zero in realising it :)

what kind of community development would you do? must b educational, eh? don't u feel u'd just b a drop in the ocean tho? [better than nothing i know...]

Dewi Susanti said...

John, your dream is every single's dream :)

I guess we never really live in dreams, do we? They are just so elusive and ever changing.

But dreams are good for we the living, even when they are just means of bearing the weights and disappointments of life.

Hopefully they are something that make us look forward to and drive our lives towards a better future.

Unknown said...

yeh i agree with u, dreams and dissatisfaction keep things going onward in a haphazard way ...